September 29, 2010

Prone to Wander

Lord I feel it, prone the leave the Lord I love. 
Lately I have been feeling like Hosea's wife....heartbreakingly cruel, foolishly fickle, and stubbornly unfaithful to the One who loves me best. 
When I am still and silent and listening I can hear God speak words of comfort and strength, but I only when I am looking in the right place.  God's word is the only place I will find these words.  So unless I have hidden these words in my heart or are daily reading them God cannot use this precious gift to calm my heart and soothe my hurts. 
Time and time again, lately it seems, more than ever, I find myself distracted....pulled away from the eternal by shiny objects.  Many of these shiny objects are not "bad" in and of themselves but they are not what I need, they will never satisfy.  They are like chewing gum when my stomach is growling and my hands are shaking from hunger. 
And the tragic part is that I know this!  I know for a fact that all the things I try to lose myself in...to relax, unwind, veg out...will never give me true rest!  Yes, there is a time and place for recreation, entertainment, and the like but they are not what I need when I am feeling overwhelmed.
I long for the day when in heaven my hunger will be completely satisfied and I will no longer be distracted by good things when I am to be pursuing what is best. 
Until then I will pray...praying that I would be more faithful the the Faithful One, that I would stop settling for good when I should pursue the best, and that I would develop a craving for eternal things.
 Until then I will continue to mess up and will bring my broken and hurting heart to God in repentance. 
Until then I will remember that He who began a good work in me will work it through to completion.

Joining with Emily and others as we lay our brokenness down at the foot of the cross at Imperfect Prose

10 comments:

  1. Love the song...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f7tx25O9XM&feature=related

    "Until then I will continue to mess up and will bring my broken and hurting heart to God in repentance.
    Until then I will remember that He who began a good work in me will work it through to completion. "

    Keep returning imperfect prose sister, and remember he is not glorified in condemnation. Receive His forgiveness, His grace, His mercy, His peace, His strength, His love - and keep on keeping on with Him, in Him, for Him!

    His blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the shiny objects. I know them well. Take my heart Lord, take and seal it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that hymn, Prone to wander Lord I feel it.

    Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be satisfied.

    You will be satisfied.

    p.s. I have the same problem with chewing gum myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know those shiny objects as well...
    keep turning...He hears...and we do continue to screw up...hope that craving you pray for pours out on you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your heart. have i told you this? and the way you hunger for heaven... and he knows this. i believe he hears our spirits, and yours is filled with such holy longing... he understands. this is grace. rest in it, sister, as i learn to do the same. so blessed to walk this journey with you... xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. love that hymn, especially that verse, b/cs it's ME. and my sis jokes that i'm a magpie, but i'm a spiritual magpie too. i get distracted--by ME! argh!! evenin prayer my thoughts drift and i get so sad. i loved the gum analogy. so true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your honest words. I too find myself distracted by many "shiny" objects, and I'm so thankful that God continually woos us back to Himself.

    I'm new to this community, and stopping here as blessed me today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I long for the day when my hunger will be completely satisfied..." A dear friend and mentor once casually mentioned the possibility that the longing is exactly where our Lord wants us. That idea has stayed with me as I try to figure out, and what you wrote here makes me think that perhaps real satisfaction is in embracing the longing. Either way, it sounds like you are at a special spot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. inner satisfaction is the most important maybe...

    Welcome To link in a poem to our potluck today, thanks a ton!
    http://jinglepoetry.blogspot.com/2010/10/poetry-potluck-seven-deadly-sins.html

    out theme is 7 deadly sins,
    please join us and share your words of wisdom, a poem or a prose would be good.

    ReplyDelete