September 15, 2010

What is your only comfort in life and in death?

That I am not my own, I am not my own to define
but belong not rented or borrowed but owned
body and soul, all that I am, every word every thought every passion every dream every step
in life and in death even when reality as I know it no longer exists, this I know is true
to my faithful Savior Jesus Christ. by brother, redeemer, friend, and Creator
He has fully paid for all my sins with his precious blood, a price i could never have paid
and has set me free from the tyranny of the devil. Hallelujah, I sing because I am happy, I sign because I am free
He also watches over me in such a way His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me
that not a hair can fall from my head nothing is to small to escape His notice, He is concerned with every detail of my life.
without the will of my Father in heaven: no thing is a surprise to Him who loves me
in fact, all things must work together for my salvation. not my immediate satisfaction, ease or comfort but my salvation
Because I belong to him, it is His grip that keeps me there and not my own
Christ, by his Holy Spirit, Holy Trinity, working together to hold me
assures me of eternal life Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.
and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready there is no fear of turning back
from now on to live for him for I am not my own!


Today I bring my weakness to draw rest and strength in the shade of God's faithfulness and linking up with Emily for imperfect prose.  For when I am weak, then am I strong!

(red text from Heidelberg Catechism question #1)

10 comments:

  1. ok the structure of this is amazing...if you read the red words alone it still flows wonderfully...you knew this but...and the message within...perfect...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliantly done! I too take great pride in these truths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know what else to say except ditto to the comments above...love this!
    Elizabeth
    http://www.justfollowingjesus.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallelujah with you! (oh, and yee haw!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What words!! What truth! What more could we hope for?! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. What I needed to read today!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "not my immediate satisfaction, ease or comfort but my salvation"

    Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. excellent. such impact, found in the lining of red, and how i love that this reflects the red words of the Bible, the ones Jesus spoke... well done, friend. i join you in celebrating our weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you. i needed this today, on an especially hard day. to be reminded that all things work together for my salvation was a comfort. and it was beautifully written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was such a great reminder, I really like how you put your own commentary into the catechism. I have read it over a few times in the last couple days it has been really encouraging! :-)

    ReplyDelete