October 20, 2010

Punctuality and the Perseverance of the Saints

I am a worrier by-nature, one way that this manifests itself in my life and a deep need to be punctual.  I worry that if I am not on time (or in most cases a bit early) I may
cause others pain by causing them to worry
   waste others' time and be a disappointment
      miss out on something important that couldn't wait for me.
            cause others my question my love/sincerity/care 
all because I could not make it on time.I know that these are sometimes silly fears, especially when I know that I hold no hard feelings against those who are late when meeting me.
But these worries I still have and so I tend spend a lot of time looking at my watch.
Knowing this about myself and knowing that God has called me to cast out fear and to lay my worries and burdens down, sometimes I write two little words on my wrist...all things.  Just above where the face of my watch is, just big enough so that I see it whenever I check the time. 
"Why all things?" you may ask, I write all things because it reminds me of some of my favorite Bible verses, promises of God that keep me grounded and remind me not to worry.
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13
"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33
"Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."" Matthew 19:26
"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28
"I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted." Job 42:2
"Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” And He said to me,“Write, for these words are true and faithful.”" Rev 21:5


These two little words remind me that there is nothing outside of God's hands, all things must and will work together for my good and for my salvation because He says so.  These two little words remind me that I am held by God's grip and not my own.
Someday, when I remember, at the craft store I will buy alphabet beads to make myself a bracelet so that I can be a more obedient daughter and stop writing on myself.  But until then I will continue to use magic marker to remind my heart to be still and know that my Father has everything under control. 

Joining Emily and others for Imperfect Prose

12 comments:

  1. nice. i like the bracelet idea...and the all things does link to quite a few verses...nice reminder...and the on time thing...lol...reminds me of my wife...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ghaaaa! this is a great idea! where's my pen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and this is why i have tattoos! :)
    i'm a clock-watcher, too. a worrier. a people pleaser.
    so i totally *get* this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I was thinking it would make a great tattoo, too. I'm also a worrier. Your "all things" also reminds me of what Frodo says to Sam when they think the world is ending in The Return of the King . . . "I'm glad to be with you, Samwise Gamgee, here at the end of all things." And then they are saved . . . perfect, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. all things. lauri, i hadn't realized this, how so many verses stress the complete coverage of his care. and i love the magic-marker cure. perfect. how you challenge me, sister. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea...Lauri, you may have started something many may do...i love this!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love this, my friend! Was going to say something similar to the above about maybe getting this tattooed on my wrist (and I don't like tattoos--even though I love my sisters who have them!). Maybe someone could design a piece of jewelry for me? Good stuff, Lauri. Good, good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, i like this! but what touched me the most was your thoughtfulness and concern for others even while extending grace to those who are late. being bound by worry is bad, but those other traits are sorely lacking in this world of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find there is a tender balance between worrying and trying our hardest. Your worrying out of a desire not to make others worry is admirable, and the cause is admirable even if the emotions are not. So I like your perspective here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mommy said you should be a retreat speaker and use this as your topic....I agree :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. a part of me lies here awakening to this post ! thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. YES!!! To rest in His sovereignty... that ALL is under HIS Control. We live an illusion to think anything less.
    Thanks for being honest and living vulnerable... it is a beautiful thing!

    ReplyDelete