October 27, 2010

The Romance of the Sea

In the midst of crazy college conversations I learned something new about myself - that I was different from many of my friends in a way that I never expected...I honestly believed that everyone wanted to be a pirate when they grew up, at some point in their lives!  I was shocked to see surprised faces and looks questioning my sanity when I spoke this belief aloud.  I had expected great variations in religion, politics, moral beliefs, but this seemed like a given.
So, with risk of being giggled at, I admit I wanted to be a pirate when I grew up.  No not a real one that plunders and pillages and steals, or even a story book one that makes people walk the plank.  I simply longed for the total freedom of being more at home on the sea than on land; to be able to go where I wanted, when I wanted apart from any entanglements I may have left behind on a distant shore. (maybe I wanted a little rebellion too like not washing behind my ears or not picking up room).
Whatever the pull to the sea was, it is still there....ocean breezes are necessary for my mental well-being. 
The constantly changing landscape, the small treasures of sun-bleached shells and sea tumbled jewels of glass, the familiar chatter of gulls, the rhythmic lapping of the waves all whisper of home to me.  The sun's intensity is multiplied and the wind takes on new life when tainted with the scent of salty sea spray. 
I find it's easier to pray on the beach, the vastness of the seemingly endless ocean laid out before me puts my heart in perspective and gives me a glimpse of the greatness of the God that I serve.
So with all of the craziness of life this past weekend I finally got to run away to my beloved beach.  This weekend was homecoming and before the big game and joyous reunions I stole some time and had my morning coffee with the waves and the gulls.  It as a calm morning, autumn sun streaming through the clouds and I knew that this sight was for me and I wanted to share it with you....
Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Linking up with Emily and others at Imperfect Prose

16 comments:

  1. Arrrr! And THAT'S why I hired you to draw tattoos on all those young scurvy bilge rats at beloved son's party, lo these many years ago. New heavens and new earth--gonna be some serious beach time. I'm sure of it.

    Now I'm afraid you're not going to get serious comments because I started talking like a pirate...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same...
    Glad to see you share these.
    have a prideful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there is something about the vastness of the ocean that is humbling...even though it does not come close to the immensity of the creator...and the waves crash an answer in themselves....i get this...glad you got that time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this with me. When I was young I wanted to be a muppeteer.
    You know, like Jim Hensen?
    Anywho, the beach photo is lovely and I am glad you shared it, it is centering isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you. The sound of any source of water calms me, but there's nothing quite like sea-side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I don't share the pirate dream with you, but I wanted to be a lighthouse keeper...the pull of the sea, we have that in common! Thank you for coming by my place and leaving a kind comment!
    Elizabeth
    http://www.justfollowingjesus.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I wanted to be a ceramic lady.

    Not a lady fired in a kiln, but you get my drift. :)

    It's rare that I find myself near the ocean, but when I do, I am awed by the vast magnitude of it all.

    Love post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too love the sea, and the spirit of being near the sea. For the reasons you said, especially the vastness, the way nature plays. And the beautiful skies - great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How I love this post. You start with pirates and end with one of my favorite hymns, and the stanza that always melts my heart and reduces me to tears.

    P.S. My daughter wanted to be either Peter Pan or Luke Skywalker when she was young, while all the other little girls were dressing up as brides or princesses. I think piracy was also an option, but after an unfortunate sea trip this past summer (she discovered her aptitude for extreme seasickness) the pirate life is now off the table ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love, love, love that you wanted to be a pirate. what a perfect post. you started me off with a laugh, and then pulled me into the profound. this, my favorite part: The constantly changing landscape, the small treasures of sun-bleached shells and sea tumbled jewels of glass, the familiar chatter of gulls, the rhythmic lapping of the waves all whisper of home to me.

    poetry and grit. well done, friend. e.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe that all the women in our family must have a bit of saltwater in their veins- that or we are descendants of a sulkie

    ReplyDelete
  12. as the venerable e.e. said it: For whatever we lose (like a you or a me) / it's always ourselves we find in the sea

    i've never been to a real beach but i will, one day.
    love this post, pirates and all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i have spent very little time near the ocean, but much near the great lakes and little lakes. being near any sort of water soothes me immensely. i would like to live much closer to a body of water than i currently do.

    i smiled at your desire to be a pirate, and smiled again, this time in delight and awe, at your beautiful ocean picture. both were a blessing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the beach, especially in autumn. I hope you find rest and refreshment, me bucko....aaarrgh! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. sarah louise upjohn told me i had to read this post, and I am very glad I did. I am, amongst other things, a self-proclaimed pirate. Glad I'm not alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. ^ True story. I was thinking someday you guys could meet and be friends and maybe steal a ship or something.

    ReplyDelete