October 13, 2010

sometimes i just have to stick my finger in my ears and sing

As I sat and thought about what to write tonight, to join in Imperfect Prose, many things came to mind...struggles this week with contentment, wonders and worries about the future, longing for companionship, amazement at my own brokeness all joined the chorus of ideas. 
I pondered and prayed a bit more, not satisfied with any of it and I wondered if i had anything worth sharing.
Then a song came to mind, but first let me explain.  This past Sunday as I was driving and listening to A Prairie Home Companion, I caught an interview with a couple of guys who sang together.  The conversation turned to Lutheran hymns and how everyone knows all the words and then they began to sing "for the beauty of the earth," from memory...in harmony! 
This beautiful moment driving home from church as the heat warmed my toes and the colors of fall leaves flew by my windshield is what came to mind tonight. 
I realized tonight that many of my struggles, worries, temptations, and disappointments can all be traced back to my listening to lies from the enemy.  Isn't that how all this pain started anyways, "did God really say...?"   Why is the bad stuff always easier to believe? Lies about God's goodness seem to be easier for me to believe and harder for me to drown out.  The only antidote to these lies is grateful praise.  It is so much harder to believe God stingy or negligent when I am busy thanking Him for what He has given.  For He truly is good sometimes I just need to remember that.
So tonight I stick my fingers in my ears against those lies of discontent, worry, and brokeness-beyond-repair, and I sing my thankfullness to drown them out. 
I will probably fall for these lies again and have to learn this lesson over and over again; never quite getting it until Jesus returns or calls me home...but for tonight I will make the conscious decision to not listen.



For the beauty of the earth
For the glory of the skies,
For the love which from our birth
Over and around us lies.

Lord of all, to Thee we raise,
This our hymn of grateful praise.

For the beauty of each hour,
Of the day and of the night,
Hill and vale, and tree and flower,
Sun and moon, and stars of light.

Lord of all, to Thee we raise,
This our hymn of grateful praise.

For the joy of ear and eye,
For the heart and mind’s delight,
For the mystic harmony
Linking sense to sound and sight.

Lord of all, to Thee we raise,
This our hymn of grateful praise.

For the joy of human love,
Brother, sister, parent, child,
Friends on earth and friends above,
For all gentle thoughts and mild.

Lord of all, to Thee we raise,
This our hymn of grateful praise.

For Thy Church, that evermore
Lifteth holy hands above,
Offering up on every shore
Her pure sacrifice of love.

Lord of all, to Thee we raise,
This our hymn of grateful praise.

For the martyrs’ crown of light,
For Thy prophets’ eagle eye,
For Thy bold confessors’ might,
For the lips of infancy.

Lord of all, to Thee we raise,
This our hymn of grateful praise.

For each perfect gift of Thine,
To our race so freely given,
Graces human and divine,
Flowers of earth and buds of Heaven.

Lord of all, to Thee we raise,
This our hymn of grateful praise.

10 comments:

  1. Wait...I think I might be Lutheran! Just kidding. Good stuff here, fighting the enemy with praise. You remind me, I'll remind you. Deal? Multitudes of hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, your title caught my attention. I stick my fingers in my ears a lot -- lalalalalala... Also, love Prairie Home Companion and the hymn, and your post. May God give you victory and answer the desires of your heart. He is good - all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice song...i agree...our praise can be louder than the other when we turn to it...thanks for that bit of peace today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have these words memorized? That has me very impressed.

    I think you're absolutely right about making that decision for today. Then making it again for tomorrow... and so on and so forth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so good. i can picture this drive, and i'm feeling at peace. i am joining with you, sticking fingers in ears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I join you, sticking my fingers in my ears too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. please count me in! i needed to read these words today. now i'm going to put my fingers in my ears and sing at the top of my lungs! thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laurie i just love this whole post...sometimes we all need to just stick our fingers in our ears and sing....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, girl, this guts me. i have tears. i can hear those boys singing... and i can hear you, and it's beautiful, this praise. i only pray i can teach my children to discern between the enemy's voice and God's, for then they'll be equipped... love to you sister. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow.
    you nailed it.
    what a unique way to sing..
    Bless you.

    ReplyDelete