November 24, 2010

Breathe Deep

Sometimes it is hard to remember God's goodness:
When Godly, lovely people lose battles with disease,
when evil people seem to not have a care in the world,
when humble go hungry and proud eat their fill. 
This seeming reality can destroy joy like nothing else I know. 
My head knows that God is good, because His Word tells me so, my heart knows that He is good because I have seen Him answer prayer.  But sometimes I just can't seem to bring it all together.  The pain is too real, the look of suffering in another's eyes is too vivid, the cup is too bitter and I lose faith...even if only for a moment. 
How fickle my affections are, how quick to judge and slow to trust. 
GOD IS GOOD. 
He does  not promise that I will know how His goodness will manifest itself or that it will fit my definition of "good,"  He simply promises that all things will work together for the good of those who are called by His name.  As my pastor said in a sermon not too long ago, "be thankful that He has saved you and live your life." 
And so, on this eve of Thanksgiving I will choose an attitude of gratitude.  Because a thankful heart has no room for doubts.
I am grateful for my name written in the book of life and God who loved me enough to pay with blood to write it.  I am grateful for a family who loves me and loves God.  I am grateful for friends who get me and who have my back.  I am grateful for daily bread and joy in my work.  I am grateful for baby kisses and toddler hugs, for sunny mornings and flocking birds.  I am grateful for projects to keep my hands busy and for art to keep my mind in awe.  I am grateful for health and a roof over my head.  I am grateful for a Heavenly Father who listens to my prayers and answers with what is best and not with what I want.  I am grateful for a savior who is teaching me that if I fear Him, I have nothing to fear.  Most of all I am grateful for the breath of life, both in this world and the next.

breathing deep in broken thoughts, linking up with Emily and  others at Imperfect Prose.

8 comments:

  1. i love how you have chosen to put off the old and put on the new by embracing gratitude, which is its own seeing.
    and yes, even like i said at my place--the choice to listen to the still, small voice.
    happy thanksgiving. we are so blessed to be His.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO get you and, yes, I've got your back. So thankful for you as grown-daughter-friend, and for the privilege of seeing God's work in your life. To Him be the glory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't amazing how when we start with just deciding to be grateful and not overanalysing it, then all of a sudden we think of more and more and more things to be grateful?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm wrestling with that too and finding solace in counting my blessings, especially the ones i take for granted like a place to live in, a bed, warm covers, and food to eat. suddenly, i have more peace than i did before. thank you for the reminders. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. a thankful heart has no room for doubts.

    this struck raw.

    i am thankful for you, dear lauri. so thankful. for the way he speaks through you. ((thank you)) and happy thanksgiving! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. such wonderfuls to be thankful for... even in the stark reality of our world and all the things that happen in it, and we don't understand why they do... i really liked this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your beautiful insight. I needed that reminder today--that God is indeed Good. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful . . . questioned like you and the beauty shines through, doesnt it? God IS good! :)

    ReplyDelete