November 3, 2010

God is good and I need to vacuum

I  have written and re-written this entry quite a few times, never quite finding the right words to say.  the command of the english language lay before me and yet all I truly want to say is that God is good.
So often I forget this and in worry-sickness watch and wonder when the rug will be pulled out from underneath me when I am feeling blessed.  Or in self-pitying guilt I reason "what right have I to expect good things from God?" when I have been so disobedient.
Yes, life is messy and yes, life hurts....BUT my God is faithful and powerful, able to do immeasurably more than I can ask or imagine.
On messy days when life gets me to the end of myself and I lay my soul before God in wordless prayer of surrender, cheek to carpet on my living room floor (realizing not only my sinfulness and inability to do anything to save myself but also that I have neglected vacuuming for far too long) I am tempted to despair.  Times like this God's truth is more trustworthy than my feelings and so I let God's promises mend my soul.
"My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant.
   For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for he who is mighty has done great things for me,
   and holy is his name.
And his mercy is for those who fear him
   from generation to generation.
  He has shown strength with his arm;
 he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts;
he has brought down the mighty from their thrones
  and exalted those of humble estate;
he has filled the hungry with good things,
   and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
   in remembrance of his mercy,
as he spoke to our fathers,
    to Abraham and to his offspring forever."
Luke 1:46-55

joining up with others who see beauty in brokenness at Imperfect Prose

7 comments:

  1. smiles at the line on the vacuuming...and His promises...yeah there is some reassuring there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "realizing not only my sinfulness and inability to do anything to save myself but also that I have neglected vacuuming for far too long)" Poignancy and humor - a good mix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful prose, "Yes, life is messy and yes, life hurts....BUT my God is faithful and powerful, able to do immeasurably more than I can ask or imagine." Oh if I could remember this in the midst of the messiness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. (realizing not only my sinfulness and inability to do anything to save myself but also that I have neglected vacuuming for far too long)...

    oh lauri. your heart is so lovely. and i know, i get scared bad things are going to happen when life gets good. but then i realize i don't trust God enough to sustain me in those bad times, or to bless me without a 'catch' or a bribe. he is good. end of story. as you say so eloquently. love to you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. sometimes the line "God is good" can sound so trite and yet it is foundational, bedrock. yes, life is hard, i can't see the end, but God is good! your words resonated with my soul.

    p.s i need to vacuum too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, life is messy and yes, life hurts....BUT my God is faithful and powerful, able to do immeasurably more than I can ask or imagine.


    I like this reminder. What a good verse. What a Good God.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He IS good. He gave me friends like you and your fabulous mother and sister; He gave His son. He has graciously given us ALL THINGS! Love you to pieces.

    ReplyDelete