November 17, 2010

Mod Podge and Glitter

As I paint and glitter my way up to Christmas (early I know but I do love it so) I wonder what doesthis mess of mod podge and glitter and lace have to do with the incarnation of Jesus Christ?  At first glance I would say nothing, it is an example of how this deep theological truth has become a reason for silliness.  But not being one to settle for first glances and not being quite ready to resign my glittery dreams and schemes  I decide to look a bit deeper in my heart, why do I love Christmas so much?  Why do I get joy and giggles when I smell pine and see ribbons?
Part of it is my love of hospitality, what a great time of year to invite anyone and everyone over for good hearty foods and warm drinks.  This season is custom made for nights running long with music laughter and board games.  I think that part of my love of decorating for Christmas is wanting to display my home at its best and to give others joy when I entertain them.
Another part is my mourning of shorter days, dropping temperatures,  dead-looking trees, and lack of outdoor color.  The line in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe about it being always winter and never Christmas is one of the most tragic lines in children's literature and I believe it to be a pretty accurate description of what my life would be without the love of God.  "Greening" my apartment give me hope for spring...all is not dead in this season of cold and dark.


Finally I believe part of my love of Christmas comes from a (sometimes overly) developed sense of wonder and silliness that I have inherited from my parents.  I believe that Anne of Green Gables calls it "being of the race that knows Joseph,"  this love of beauty and ability to be suddenly captivated by mystery, hope, wonder, and tragedy that surrounds everyday.  Christmas time is custom made for kindred spirits.  The lush green garlands, snappy red ribbons, shiny bulbs, twinkling bells, flashing lights, tiny jolly figures, all give such scope for the imagination.  Christmas is a time for wonder, wondering at God becoming man, angels singing to shepherds, kings following stars.  If these are not reasons to give into temporary captivity of awe I don't know what is.  Celebrating helps enable these awe-struck sighs and contagious giggles. 
"The more we are proud that the Bethlehem story is plain enough to be understood by the shepherds, and almost by the sheep, the more do we let ourselves go, in dark and gorgeous imaginative frescoes or pageants about the mystery and majesty of the Three Magian Kings." GK Chesterton

Linking up with Emily at Imperfect Prose

7 comments:

  1. I believe that wonder and silliness are gifts from God because we have that joy-joy-joy down in our hearts. You should glitter with abandon! I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my little girls used to call the stars "glitter". God has sprinkled a lot of glitter in the skies and in our lives to enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any post that quotes by G.K. Chesterton and Anne of Green Gables is alright by me. I love your silly, glittery heart, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in the middle of the African desertland, a thousand miles from the nearest pine tree, but I promise you that I started smelling pine as I read your blog! Enjoy the season and if you decorate now, you can re-decorate in a few weeks, eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just love your thoughts here... on narnia, anne, and scope for the imagination... on christmas glitter and fun and joy. it makes me remember the christmases of my youth. i love your joyous spirit : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are a kindred spirit, dear lauri. i LOVED this post, and the way you wove in those quotes, and lifted my heart with the anticipation of the most wonderful day of the year... i think heaven is one long Christmas day, where everyone, everyone, gets to feel loved. beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. anne plus narnia plus christmas equals awesome post. :)

    ReplyDelete