November 10, 2010

november grayness

November is a gray month. 
The trees are bare and some how appear purple in their nakedness.  Cloudy skies are no longer just dark with passing rain but are a steely almost dirty looking shade that proclaims frost and whispers of snow.  The rain gets thicker and flirts with the firmness of frozen precipitation. Even the wind seems somehow gray in its new ability to bite.
November snow doesn't usually last long, it's just an appetizer, a foretaste, a teaser, never lasting long enough to make all things look new in its whiteness...just long enough to mess up the driving.  
This was true on Monday.   This November snow turned gray as a cold rain set in melting the snow into slush.  Eventually the snow left and now the 50s have returned if only for a week.  But even this little bit of warmth is deceiving with the wind cutting through it.
As you may have guessed November is not necessarily my favorite month.  One would think that being a good new england girl, I would have made peace with the seasons long ago, but some how this transition between fall and winter always seems to surprise me.  
The only thing I like about November is that it means I can begin listening to Christmas music without being judged.  
I am a firm believer that Christmas is what makes the cold worth it!  
The decorations, the family time, the joyous parties, the delicious food, the awe-inspiring hymns and carols that speak such gospel truth.  When else can you wander through Target on your lunch break and hear the words, "Hail the heav'n-born Prince of Peace! Hail the Son of Righteousness! Light and life to all He brings Ris'n with healing in His wings Mild He lays His glory by Born that man no more may die Born to raise the sons of earth Born to give them second birth Hark! The herald angels sing "Glory to the newborn King!" " playing over the intercom?
As I wander through this world of gray and cold I pray for contentment, I pray for joy, and most of all a pray that this mystery of incarnation...immortal becoming mortal, Creator putting on created skin...that this mystery would sink into my soul.  May I live like this is true!  Somehow I think that in the light of Jesus setting aside all heavenly glory to be born among livestock, with nothing but the cross before Him, this cold seems a little less gray.

joining up with Emily today at Imperfect Prose

9 comments:

  1. Oh, Lauri, wow! this was such a beautiful, touching piece of writing--I loved that whole last bit about Target and the Christmas song and Jesus--

    "immortal becoming mortal, Creator putting on created skin..."--that is such a beautiful line--

    One of my sons, his wife and two daughters are Christmas nuts--my son has declared that they cannot watch Christmas movies from January through April but on May 1 they start watching and watch the rest of the year.

    One year they were here visiting in late April and my son left for a little while. My DIL broke the contract and put in a Christmas movie for the girls amidst my encouragement--LOL

    Sounds like you love Christmas as much as we do!

    I'm so glad to meet you.

    Love,
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kindred spirit-friend! You know I will never judge you for listening to Christmas music, anytime, anywhere. Christmas fixes everything. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love winter, so you're singing my song here. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ditto nancy! i heart christmas music! and i immensely dislike the cold, so i'm afraid christmas really is the only redeeming factor about winter (all 3 weeks of it we get in tx, lol).... but i love the prayer inside this post. lovely write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is the grey that makes us so appreciate the beautiful array of colors...this is a lovely sentiment of your lovely heart Lauri. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i don't really like november grey either. but i do like the white of snow that falls, and the red and green of twinkle lights, and the cinnamon smells of Christmas, and the music... oh, how you captured this and whet my appetite and now, i'm going to listen to some. to my husband's chagrin. :) such an honest post, and one that praises him. beautiful link, friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am getting the Christmas bug as well...and here in Oregon we get the gray skies all too often as well!
    Wanted to thank you for your kind encouragement over at my place. I just love the imperfect prose community!
    Elizabeth
    http://www.justfollowingjesus.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like the long dark days either. Thankfully, so far in Michigan we have had a beautiful bright sunny fall . . . but I know the long winter days are coming. I loved how you brought the good out of the dreary days.

    This is my first timing joining in Imperfect Prose and visiting you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that this mystery would sink into my soul.

    Me too, friend. Me, too.

    ReplyDelete