January 26, 2011

barefoot is better

I've been thinking
What does omnipresence have to do with my life?
Do I live as though God were near?
Do I pray as though He is holding my hand?
Do I act and speak as though He is standing in front of me?
truthfully no
but why is this so?
I know that God is near - present - close at hand
and yet I wallow in worry, give in to grumbling, sink into self-centeredness
I disregard my Creator

I want this to change
while I pray for awareness of presence and alertness to Spirit
I know that I can do more

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
  Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 

 The Lord is near
therefore I should rejoice
therefore I should let peace guard my heart
therefore I should think on these things

This is the plan, to invite God's presence into my life by focusing on one of these attributes a week
And writing about what God reveals in His presence, both because I process with words and to ask you to keep me accountable.

The burning bush said
~Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground

let the barefooted adventures begin

Joining with Emily and others at Imperfect Prose, a place for barefeet and broken bread

9 comments:

  1. Most of the best adventures are barefoot. Go with God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how beautiful are the feet...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. smiles. i need that...the barefoot adventures....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're beautiful, you. Walk barefootedly, soli deo gloria!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, gosh. I needed to read this. I forget all the time how near he is...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great discipline! I look forward to following along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately sometimes I don't forget, I choose to not remember. I want to be able to do my own thing without reference to Him. That's when I get in the most trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah, sister, yes, the dance of the barefooted... this is the place to begin, for it's in being barefooted that we feel the ripples of the earth in our soles. so much love to you dear lauri.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always thought it was interesting how in His presence God demanded that humans expose a sensitive and in biblical times, the most dirty parts of their bodies. Its interesting to take a step back and wonder at all the intricate purposes God has. For us today the parallel would be our hearts, but its so hard to admit that its both sensitive and dirty-especially in the presence of God.

    Love you my sister--barefoot is always more comfortable in the long run :)

    ReplyDelete