January 5, 2011

Re-grouping

Winter snow and filtered light, biting cold and longer nights all seem to pull me in close to hearth and home.  Hibernation feels good and rest seems to lead to reflection.  Perhaps this is why we make resolutions this time of year.  And so with another year behind me and cold winds keeping me from staying outside, I let the reflection begin....
Last year was a year of flying by the seat of my pants and floating with the wind, changes came in fast and hard and for the most part I kept my head above water, by the grace of God.  It is by His grace that many of the "good ideas" I had seemed to prosper and the not-so-good ideas didn't sting as badly as they could have.  Gazing at the mirror and seeing the reflection of the last year I can see God's fingerprints and gentle nudges keeping me from falling off the cliffs I would get myself onto.  God is so good and has given me oh so much more than I deserve.  Glorious sunsets, smiling faces, laughing hearts, heart-tugging chats, encouraging words, healthy family, answered prayers, lapping ocean waves, and consistent employment are all blessings that I recognize as the work of God alone.
With reflection, comes re-grouping and re-thinking, planning for the year to come.  My prayer for this year is that I live it more intentionally.  I want to pursue God more consistently and thoughtfully; to use and grow my gifts more intentionally; and write and create more regularly; and to live more peacefully. 
God has given me much and I want to do much with it.  Looking back I feel like with the spontaneity came waste.  Not enough waste to discount the lessons learned or blessings received, just enough to make me ponder...what could I have done if I had not wasted my time or talent or treasure.
Praise God that He is in control and not me!

Linking up with Emily and others at Imperfect Prose

7 comments:

  1. Let's journey together, adult-daughter, friend; eyes fixed on the Author and Perfecter of our faith! Love you (and your crazy giraffe headband!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound like good goals for ALL of us, not just you. I for one would like to live more intentionally this year also, not getting bogged down in the daily tasks and stresses but keeping my eyes on a higher narrative. Hopefully you and the rest of us find success in this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. living intentionally resonates with me...i feel like the last year was lived by the seat of my pants...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I find myself refusing to reflect on the year that's gone by--almost like I'm afraid I'll find hidden regrets there or something. It was a big year of change for us, and I feel like I've been living my new year's resolution for months now... but I squander time... and that I would love to change...

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh lauri i love your heart. such gratitude, in you. he has given us so much, hasn't he? so many silent daily gifts. to live life more intentionally... i join you in this, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This causes me to stop and take stock too Lauri. I think you have wonderful goals and I know that He will use all of the things you've reflected on to grow you. Your deep desire to live fully for Him and your grateful heart are such blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...and it is Spring on your blog! I enjoy knowing that spontaneous moments are orchestrated by God and am looking forward to discovering the blessing instead of being annoyed by the inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete