February 23, 2011

barefooted justice


Finally brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right
As a girl born and raised in the Constitution State I feel that I have a genetic predisposition to love rules.  I like knowing where I stand and what I need to do…and what I can expect others to do.  The problem is that in a broken world, communication breaks down and rules are more of a fluid concept to most people.  The rules only apply when convenient or personally beneficial….I must confess that I’ve been known to craft a few loop holes myself every once in a while.  Loop holes, exceptions, special cases, appeals, and the like have become so much a part of the regulatory culture that we live in, it has become difficult to find what real rules apply.  It seems the Pharisees had this same problem in Jesus’ time.  Spending more time on their made up rules that they felt that could follow than they did on God’s perfect law.  I think that is why we make some many superfluous rules and laws…we like to feel we measure up  and the more rules we can claim to follow the less the more we can numb the sting of non-compliance with the rules that really matter.
All of this baggage aside, what does God require? Perfection.
Plain and simple, complete obedience…I couldn’t do it and so Jesus did it for me.  In response to that perfection God calls me to love Him with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength and to love others as I love myself.  He calls me to seek justice, love mercy and to walk humbly before Him.  He calls me to seek the welfare of others before my own.   After quite a bit of prayer and thinking this week I think it boils down to the fact that doing anything less than loving God in all that I say do, and think; and loving and treating every other human being as an individual created in the image of God, is doing injustice.  It’s a high standard that I fail in every day, but this is what God is calling me to do.  I pray that He would work in my heart, to strengthen the muscles I need to do this better…that I would learn to love well – for that is justice.
Walking barefoot and joining up with the community at  Imperfect Prose

5 comments:

  1. Justice really is a tricky concept, isn't it? Trying to care about it while not crossing the line and wandering into legalism. I think a tiny piece of the challenge has to do with pursuing justice on the behalf of others while not insisting on it for myself? Hmmm...you've given me some serious stuff to think about this week, girl! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm...i agree, lots to think on here...i am glad for grace because i fail all too often....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justice is learning to love well, wow, totally different than how I usually want to see it (justice=treating me right). Very challenging but very straightforward, no loopholes. Love my neighbor as myself. And all men/women are my neighbors. No, not a small challenge at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i pray this too, friend... perfection is so hard, yet his grace is sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfection: Thank God Jesus paid the price! :-)
    Now we are free to live in His grace and share it in love!

    ReplyDelete