February 8, 2011

A Wild Woman

I'm not sure if I have mentioned this but I LOVE cookbooks.  They call my name from used bookstores and barnes and noble shelves alike; all saying, "take me home."
Instead of trying to figure out this mania, I've decided to just go with it.
One of my favorite finds is  Sweets: A collection of soul food desserts and memories by Patty Pinner.  It combines my love of delicious simple wholesome recipes well made with my love of stories well told, and just generally makes me happy whenever I look at it.
This past Saturday I was looking for a recipe for cookies to bring to a church lunch the next day and found one...I also found a description of who I want to be when I grow up :)
It made me laugh out loud and so I felt the need to share it, first with some ladies at church, and now with you all.  So here it goes:
"Every family has a wild woman: a woman who talk loud and saucy and throws her head way back when she laughs; a woman who smooths the seat of her dress in a seductive manner when she walks, seemingly unaware of the folks straining to catch a glimpse; one who may be well past her prime but is obviously still having sex with her husband, and obviously still enjoying it.  Cud'n John's wife, Florence, was our family's wild woman.  A cross between Eartha Kitt and Moms Mabley, Cud'n Florence was a purring kitten one minute and a court jester the next.  She could mimic mannerisms and tell jokes with the precision of a professional comedian.  She kept us-including Big Mama, who didn't tolerate too much foolishness-laughing.
There were all kinds of rumors about the way Cud'n John, My My's first cousin on her mama's side, a dapper, street smart man in his own right, met Cud'n Florence-there was some real speculation where Cud'n Florence's past was concerned.  But all the women in my family loved her anyway.  They praised her for the way she kept herself up, and marveled over how neat and clean she kept her house, right down to her chest of drawers, where every bra and every panty was neatly folded the way they are on the display tables in boutiques.  And they admired her for the glorious and eclectic was she lived her life-shopping trips to Chicago with the girls, civic club meetings, Friday night card games, and hosting Sunday afternoon church socials.
Cud'n Florence might have been our family's wild woman, but now that I am older and things make more sense, I understand that she was way more than just our family's wild wmoan.  Cud'n Florence was also a model, of sorts, for the women in my family.  When Cud'n Florence came to town-she and Cud'n Joh lived in a lovely old home in Detroit-all the women, inclduing Big Mama, gathered around her.  Her loud laughter, her sauciness, her accounts of her latest adventures and investments, and the sexy way she put her hand on her hip when she took a glass of ice water to Cud'n John mesmerized us.  In Cud'n Florence, young and old, we saw our feminine possibilities.  In her we witnessed an older woman who still flaunted her feminine curves, one who was full of joy, full of seasoned feminine grace, aware of it, proud of it, and overflowing with love."

I especially love that last sentence...that's what I want to be when I grow up,  an older woman who still flaunted her feminine curves, one who was full of joy, full of seasoned feminine grace, aware of it, proud of it, and overflowing with love.
 Here's to you wild women out there, keep doing what you're doing!


ps- in case you haven't guessed, I highly recommend the book, lot's of really good recipes, beautiful stories about the author's family, and fun family photos.

2 comments:

  1. Patty Pinner has an amazing legacy in her family traditions and memories. I have no doubt that a young woman who wears giraffe ears will still be celebrating her joy in her later years <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds delicious :) I love collecting and reading cook books. I read them like novels. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete