March 9, 2011

lovely barefeet

“Finally brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely…”

March in New England is a hard time to focus on lovely. November is kind of a drag for it’s grayness – March is defined by brownness. The world around me seems enveloped in a smear of mud The snow that once was white and clean is the gray-brown of road salt and the ground newly reveled that once was green in summer splendor is now brown with dead leaves and mud.

Mud is everywhere…roads, yards, homes, cars, clothes. I have to admit I’m pretty good at suspending reality and being optimistic, but even I can have a hard time imagining mud into lovely.
Trees are lovely, flowers are lovely, clean flowing streams and crisp green lawns are lovely…even freshly fallen snow and dripping icicles are lovely, but there is just something about mud.

Perhaps mud’s “lovely” comes in the anticipation. Mud season is a season like all others and I know that “this too shall pass.” The sight and sounds and smells of mud may not be lovely in and of themselves but there is something in the air tickling the senses and teasing of spring to come. Like the first few chords of a favorite song, this March air can get the adrenaline pumping. “No, all is not as it should be yet, but it will be soon” the earth seems to say.

The lovely is there for the taking in March, it just needs to sought fiercely and held tightly.
In the midst of cold and colds, surprise snow that has over stayed it’s welcome, dirty snow/ice piles, potholes, and flooded streams, hope for change is in the air. That tricksy southern sun warmed wind catches your ear and whispers as Narnians said the spell began to break… “Aslan is on the move.” And that is a lovely thought indeed.

Letting my bare feet get a little muddy and joining up with Emily and others at Imperfect Prose.

11 comments:

  1. ha. we are both bare foot in the mud today...even the mud is spiritual...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the beautiful message in your words Lauri....it is truly lovely! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mud, as it hardens around my feet, as the skin tightens and hurts, I pour warm water over and my body feels refreshed and new. There's anticipation in all things gray and muddy. Great read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I have to admit I’m pretty good at suspending reality and being optimistic" < I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aslan is on the move indeed. And isn't it interesting that lovely is one of the things we are supposed to think about? Does God know that the search for beauty leads to Him?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're all looking forward to Spring with you, Lauri. It won't be long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how you ended this with Narnia and "the spell began to break" and "Aslan is on the move" That is a lovely thought indeed ;-)

    Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Philippians 4:8

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lovely is there for the taking in March, it just needs to sought fiercely and held tightly.

    i'm seeking fiercely and holding tightly with you, friend. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love the "Aslan is on the Move"...!!!

    I also really like how you describe lovely as something that has to be struggled towards, fought for, even in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and your sister are my "Anne girls" with much scope of the imagination. I have to admit that on cold scary days when mud seems about to over take me, I have little strength to be my grown up self,& I say to myself "Aslan is on the move" and am instantly filled with hope. Come Lord Jesus!! Come!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You my dear sister are lovely! Inside and out, forever and always!

    ReplyDelete