May 11, 2011

hank williams jr, lilacs, and narnia

A man of much worldly experience has been known to sing, "If heaven ain't a lot like Dixie, I don't wanna go"
if it were me I would sing, if heaven doesn't have lilacs, I don't want to go!
(well I would still want to go, but I would probably be a bit disappointed)
I love lilacs...this time of year I find reasons to leave my desk and walk by the bush in the green by town hall just to get a few good lung-fulls of that beautiful scent in me to get me through the day.  I believe there is not a problem that May can throw at me that lilacs won't help.  Someday, my home will have a big lilac bush ( or two or three) planted right by my windows so that when I air the house out for spring cleaning I can welcome in that aroma.
While my love of lilacs and a few other pieces of this rock we call home (like ocean waves and gala apples and clear starry nights) may seem a bit random and a little nutty, they're one of the reasons I am so greatful for heaven to look forward to. 
Being raised in a christian home sometimes wonder how my life would be different if I didn't know God and His promises.  If I didn't have a new heavens and new earth to look forward to, I would be scared of dying.  I can't imagine facing each day knowing that I may not smell lilacs again or eat another crisp apple, but God, the Creator of all things, promises to renew and redeem all parts of creation, to restore everything to even better than it was in the beginning!  So instead of fearing never smelling lilacs again, I can look forward to smelling them the way God always meant for them to smell, without the taint of the curse of mortality on them.
It's like when everyone goes through the door in The Last Battle , "But that was not the real Narnia.  That had a beginning and an end.  It was only a shadow or a copy of the real Narnia which has always been here and will always be here....You need not mourn over Narnia, Lucy.  All of the old Narnia that mattered, all the dear creatures, have been drawn into the real Narnia through the Door." 
I can't wait to echo the unicorn and say "I have come home at last! this is my real country! I belong here.  This is the land I have been longing for all my life, though I never knew it till now.  The reason why we loved the old Narnia is that it sometimes looked a little like this."
I believe I love lilacs because they smell a little like heaven, and for now that is enough.

Joining up with Emily and others at Imperfect Prose

5 comments:

  1. "So instead of fearing never smelling lilacs again, I can look forward to smelling them the way God always meant for them to smell, without the taint of the curse of mortality on them."
    love it.
    I also love that you referenced the Narnia unicorn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it will be a beautiful day when it comes...until then i am about making as much of it as i can here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This line delighted me "I believe there is not a problem that May can throw at me that lilacs won't help." I love lilacs, too, and I hope one day you get yours right by your window. :) To think that this earth is only a shadow of what is to come is such a hopeful, encouraging thought. Even lilacs will be what they were meant to be. Thank you for this today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eyes are moist and I'm clapping. I love this post. There are so many parts of this terra firma that I adore and whenever I am amazed new (or anew) I ask God to please give me a little corner of this in heaven. I even walk through the zoo and put in pet requests (a whole tribe of antelope ground squirrels, two kookaburra's, 2 snow leopards and a family of markhors-now no longer enemies-monkeys of all sorts, every dog I've ever loved, bears in the pools and the list goes on.) There is such comfort in believing to the core that He has such beauty and purpose for me after life here. That I am truly not going to lose a thing. And that last bit of Narnia is my favorite part of the whole series. It gave me such a comforting view of heaven when I really wasn't that sure as a child (sounded dull.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and I really like lilacs but they don't grow anywhere near me. Breath them in deep for me, too.

    ReplyDelete