September 7, 2011

Functional Glitter

These are my new much beloved boots!  They found me at a fair last weekend and I just had to bring them home.  Icould not be happier with them, I now have real boots to do my boot-scooting in!

On the ride home from the fair, I was so excited about them that I reached into the bag and pulled one out to began reading the description on the tag of all of these boots' wonderful features. 
Not only are the insoles padded and moisture-wicking (a much appreciated feature for when "you could have danced all night") but the carbon-rubber outsoles are actually designed to be "acid and manure resistant"!
Imagine, something so pretty, with all of that shiny bling, being designed to last through mud and muck!

In the midst of my giggles about this feature it hit, isn't that what love is supposed to be?

Functional, resilient, and yet beautiful? 
I remember my Pastor saying once that Romans 12 is a picture of love with it's overalls on ready to work, this is what love is to look like in real life ...
"9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
 14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
 17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:
   “If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
   if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”
 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

The beauty of hospitality and compassion, the tirelessness of joy in hope and sincerity, the peaceful strength of true humility, the manure resistance  of overcoming evil with good!
Who knew that cowboy boots could preach the gospel?
I pray that my heart will be ever more shaped like my Savior's, covered in functional glitter.

Linking up with Emily and others at imperfect prose.

5 comments:

  1. Such a good point! Those boots are seriously country-looking, and the label sounds like it conjures some pretty nasty images; it's amazing they can stay nice through all that. So I'm getting a rather extreme picture of what I need to live up to spiritually as well from this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at "glitter."

    I love this analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous reminder! And, pretty boots too - liking the 'glitter'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From one cowgirl to another, your boots sure are purty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome! such a beautiful analogy. you're literally walking in the word. :)

    ReplyDelete