January 27, 2014

Waiting on Spring

I am oh so done with this arctic vortex silliness.
I've never been a huge fan of winter.  Salt caked cars, short days, long nights, cold runny noses, drafty windows- brrrrrr.  Don't get me wrong, I love hot tea, cozy blankets, warm fires and watching snow fall as much as the next girl....as long as I can stay inside where it's warm!
One of the things I have found cheers me up most on dark windy nights is to pour myself a cup of tea and pour over my seed catalog from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (http://www.rareseeds.com/).
Nothing beats the winter blues like planning my garden.  In order to make the pleasure last I have developed a multi-step process over the years that involves first highlighting everything that looks awesome and potentially a good fit for my yard.  Then I whittle down the highlights to a list.  Then I realize I have bitten off way more than I can choose and make a more manageable list (hahaha!)  My final list includes 19 types of veggies, 10 varieties of herbs, and 10 kinds of flowers....maybe I still went a bit over board.
This is one of those times that I am pretty thankful for being single.  I don't have to justify my list to anyone but my own conscience and when tiny pots of dirt start taking over every available horizontal surface in front of a sunny window I am inconveniencing no one but myself.
Stay tuned for more in the adventures of #Garden2014

No comments:

Post a Comment